Categories
Resolution Uncategorized

Offering Feedback

Are there any gaps between your practice of offering feedback to students and what Hattie recommends?

Yes, I would say I focus a lot on just one level of the feedback that is directed to the self. Which as stated, does not actually enhance learning. My desire was to give some positive reinforcement and compliments, I guess supporting their ego needs as described, but now I see that there is so much more that I could be providing them.

In what ways can you improve the effectiveness of the feedback that you provide for your students?

For providing feedback in the future, I will try to reduce the use of the fourth (self) style of feedback and instead, focus more of a healthy mix. Thinking about where the student is right now and where they are meant to be, and addressing them using the 3 questions which Hattie provided will be a great starting place. I can see that this will time more of an investment in time on my part but now that I see the rewards of this investment, I believe it will be worth it. In the past I have provided I believe, over detailed feedback that likely lost the student and let to both our our frustration. I can see how to approve in that approach as well.